For most people, moving is an inevitable part of life. And, whether you move frequently or you’re making a move for the first time in a long time, moving is a notoriously stressful process that can take its toll on even the calmest and most collected person.
Fortunately, there are plenty of tips and tricks that can help make your next move easier.
Try these hacks for yourself and see how much easier your next move can be.
Moving Hacks: Get Prepared
There are plenty of things that you can do before you even pack your first box that will help ensure that your move goes smoothly.
- Call any utility companies as soon as you know that you’ll be moving. Canceling your utilities at your current home and getting them set up at your new home is as simple as making a couple of phone calls. It’s a good idea to do this ahead of time, since it’s easy to get caught up in other tasks when you’re in the middle of your move — and even easier to forget this all-important step.
- Find a mover. You will also need to decide if you want to go the DIY route in moving or if you want to hire a professional moving company. Working with a mover can save you a lot of headaches, but you’ll want to make sure you’re working with a reputable and trustworthy mover. Always check reviews online and ask friends and family members for recommendations.
- Set your budget. Buying a new house is expensive enough, so you don’t want to also experience sticker shock from your move. Figure out how much you can afford to spend, and then stick to your budget.
Moving Hacks: Packing
Packing is where these hacks can really come in handy. Fortunately, there are plenty of ways to simplify things and make your life easier — while also making sure that your belongings stay safe.
- Don’t empty your dresser drawers. Instead of emptying your dresser drawers and packing their contents, simply take the drawers out of the dresser and wrap them, as is, in plastic wrap. If the drawers aren’t too heavy, you can even put them back into the dresser and pack the whole dresser in the truck.
- Leave your clothes on the hanger. Rather than taking all of your clothes off of their hangers, folding them, and then packing them up, save yourself a ton of work by leaving your clothes on their hangers and wrapping them in plastic wrap and securing a garbage bag over them.
- Color-code your boxes. Save yourself time by picking up colored stickers and assigning each color to a specific room. This way, instead of having to label each individual box with the room name, you can quickly and easily identify what needs to go where, simply by looking at the color.
- Take pictures. Your phone camera can come in especially handy during a move. Take pictures of box contents, in case you need to jog your memory later and what can be found where. Also, snap a picture of the back of your TV and other electronics before disconnecting them. It can be difficult to remember where all of the wires and cables go, and having a picture can make reconnecting your electronics a breeze.
Moving Hacks: Unpacking
You’re finally in your new home, but the work doesn’t stop here. Here are some tips to help you speed up the unpacking process.
- Start with the kitchen. The kitchen seems to be the most time-intensive room for unpacking, so the longer you put it off, the more stressed you likely are to be. Tackling this room will help give you a sense of accomplishment and allow you to enjoy focusing on the other rooms that are easier to unpack.
- Get rid of your boxes as soon as you empty them. Rather than letting your empty moving boxes accumulate, break each box down and recycle it as soon as it is emptied. This will not only give you a good visual of the progress your making, but it will also clear up much-needed space in your new home.
At Reali, we are proud to offer a house search process that you can trust. We help you find your perfect home at the best price, with the help of our experienced, local agents. Hear what our clients have to say about working with us and contact us when you’re ready to get started!